Toll Free 1-800-426-8783     Phone: 815-229-5112     Fax: 815-229-1815      
5233 Falcon Road Rockford, IL 61109 USA

 

Quality Warbird & Civilian
Aircraft Sales Since 1957
 
 
HOME
INVENTORY
SALES LOG
HOT NEWS
FEEDBACK
EVENTS & NEWS
RECENT ADS
PRESS RELEASES
CONTACT US
PROFILES
OUR HISTORY
BROKER BENEFITS
LOCATION
LINKS
MEET THE STAFF(Buttons)

 

 

1928 Ford Trimotor 5-AT-B
NC-9645 s/n 8
Standard Category
One of the 12 Flyable Trimotors in the World
$1,750,000

Airframe:              Only 411 Hours TT since Restoration

                                    337s and log entries are well documented.

       

Engines:                   Pratt & Whitney R-985
411 Hours since Major Overhaul by Midvalley Aircraft

Propellers:              Hamilton Standard 5404- Ground Adjustable

Exterior:                  Ford Corrugated Aluminum Skins- Excellent Condition

Interior:                  Restored to 30s Period Look- Green Leather Seats, Passenger Reading Lights, Air Vents


AVIONICS
Custom Panel Located Between Pilots Seat
Garmin SL-30 Nav/Comm
Garmin GX-55 GPS
Garmin SL-70 Transponder
SSD-120 Encoder
PS Engineering PM-1000 Intercom

MISCELLANEOUS:
Aircraft Totally Restored in 1970 by Harrahs Auto Collection in Reno, NV
13 Passenger Seats
Aft Lavatory
Wing Baggage Racks with Lower Wing Access

HISTORY:
History of the Tri-Motor
The Ford Tri-Motor was actually the design of William B Stout, founder of the Stout All Metal Airplane Company.  During the early 1920s, Stout designed and built several single-engine, thick wing, all metal monoplanes. Henry Ford, impressed with these aircraft, purchased five of these single-engine airplanes and started a freight service between Detroit, Cleveland and Chicago. When Stout designated his airplane and powered it with three Wright Whirlwind 300 HP engines. Model 3-AT, Ford bought him out and announced that he would carry passengers as well as the mail. The first flight of the Tri-motor was concluded on June 11, 1926, and by the end of production in 1933, over two hundred aircraft had been built.  There were a total of five different variants produced: 3-AT, 4-AT, 5-AT, 6-AT and the 7-AT. During their career they have been flown more than one hundred operators, twenty-one airplanes purchased by the United States government for dispersement to the Army and Navy military services to be used as personnel transports.  The "Tin Goose," as it was affectionately know, was the airplane which was first flown over the South Pole by Admiral Byrd in 1929.  The "Tin Goose" was also the airplane which started transcontinental passenger service in the United States and is the airplane, most historians agree that started modern air travel.

History of  NC9645
Ford Tri-Motor 5-AT-B, Registration NC9645, was certified on December 1, 1928 and was delivered to Transcontinental Air Transport (TAT) on January 18, 1929.  Named the "City of Wichita," this airplane was used on the first transcontinental passenger service which has flown between San Diego and New York. On April 6, 1931, the airplane became TWA No. 6008 for Trans Western Airlines. In July of 1935, the airplane was sold to TACA Airlines in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, which operated the Ford in Central America until 1946 when it was sold to Ricardo Izurienta of Campeche Mexico.  The registration was at that time changed to XA-FUB, the XA prefix denoting commercial operations. The Ford was next sold to Aurturo D'Argence, also of Campeche, Mexico.  This sale took place in August 1950, and the registration was changed to WB-NET, the XB prefix denoting private ownership. Beginning February 1951, the airplane was completely overhauled by Servicios Aernauticos de Mexico, S.A., located in Mexico City. During this overhaul the original corrugated airframe skins were replaced with modern sheet metal, and the airplane became known as "the smooth skin Ford." In July 1954, the airplane was damaged in a landing accident and not repaired.  It was sold in May of 1955 to Frank Oergel, Burbank, CA, who then sold it as it was to Eugene Frank, Caldwell, ID. By this time, Ford carried U.S. registration N58996.  On July 29, 1964, Harrah's Club purchased the airplane and recovered the original registration number, NC9645.  In 1986 when Harrah's museum closed, Gary Norton purchased the now restored airplane, and on February 15, 1990, the current owner bought the Ford from Norton Aero Ltd.
 

SPECIFICATIONS SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION UPON INSPECTION
Aircraft Stored in Climate Controlled Museum.

This aircraft is located in OR.  Contact Courtesy Aircraft to schedule a showing!

Hit Counter

 

HomeInventorySales LogHot NewsFeedbackEventsRecent Ads
Press Releases   Contact UsAircraft ProfilesOur HistoryBroker BenefitsLinksMeet the Staff